ABOUT ROUND DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RINGS
Round cut diamonds are the kings of the diamond industry. They are by far the most popular diamond cut. How popular? About 75% of all diamonds sold are round cut. They are a popular choice for earrings, necklaces, bracelets and of course, engagement rings.
What makes them such a popular choice? It’s the diamonds shape and ability to reflect light that helps maximize it potential sparkle – creating that eye catching look that many women desire in a diamond ring.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF ROUND CUT DIAMONDS
Round cut diamonds have a rich and storied history and have come a long way to become the diamonds you can buy today. However, they really started becoming popular around 1920 through the work of Marcel Tolkowsky. “Most consumers in today’s marketplace choose round brilliant-cut diamonds fashioned to meet modern concepts of beauty. These sparkling gems represent the collective talents of generations of skilled cutters over more than six centuries,” says Duncan Pay from GIA. Over the years, the diamond shaped can be summarized into four different periods. In general, round cut diamonds have larger table facets, smaller culets, and longer star facets and lower half facets.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ROUND BRILLIANT CUT DIAMONDS
If you are interested in exploring your options for round brilliant diamond engagement rings, here are some things that you need to keep in mind:
- Almost all round diamonds are brilliant cut
- Brilliant cuts have 58 facets
- Round cut diamonds tend to cost more than other cuts because they are popular and are in high demand
- The average round diamond tends to cost about a third more than other similar fancy cut diamonds
- Evaluating colour in round diamonds is subjective – some people prefer warmer colours and others prefer colourless diamonds.
- Diamond clarity for round brilliant cuts is also subjective – it depends on your standards and expectations. Follow GIA guidelines when comparing your options
- Round diamonds create a more traditional looking engagement ring
- They are ideal options as a solitaire or as an accent diamond on the rings band
The good news is that since round cut diamonds are so popular, you should have no trouble finding a diamond that fits within your price range.
INTERESTED IN ROUND CUT DIAMOND RINGS?
Here are three impressive options that will be sure to wow your bride to be:
LEARN MORE ABOUT OTHER POPULAR DIAMOND CUTS
Want to learn more about your diamond cut options? Check out these informative articles about other popular diamond cuts:
- Diamond Cut Series: Oval Diamond Engagement Rings
- Diamond Cut Series: The Pear Shaped Engagement Ring
- Diamond Cut Series: Emerald Cut Engagement Rings
- Diamond Cut Series: Cushion Cut Diamond Engagement Rings
Stay tuned for our next blog post in our Diamond Cut Series that examines everything you need to know about radiant cut diamonds. To design a custom diamond engagement ring, set up a free consultation today. Please contact me anytime with your questions and accept my personal invitation to book your free design consultation