Shopping for an engagement ring in Toronto can be intimidating. It’s a big purchase and there are a lot of jewelry stores vying for your business. Most of them have good intentions and others are more interested in making a sale than helping you find the perfect diamond engagement ring.
While the first step for many guys who decide to propose is to head down to the Eaton’s Centre, Yorkdale, or other malls in the Greater Toronto Area to start looking, the way people shop for engagement rings in Toronto is changing. You have more options than you think and this is why we have put together a list of the top 20 insider tips for buying an engagement ring.
TOP 20 INSIDER TIPS FOR BUYING A TORONTO ENGAGEMENT RING
- Start by researching online: While it is not recommended to buy an engagement ring online, it’s a great place to start your search. Go online, and take a look at pictures of diamonds and engagement ring designs. Have a list of ideas in mind when you come in to shop in person.
- Learn the basics – 4 C’s: If you don’t know anything about engagement rings (most men don’t until they start shopping for one), then it’s a good idea to brush up on the basics of buying an engagement ring and learn about the 4 C’s. This will give you a good understanding of the factors involved with choosing a diamond and ring style.
- Understand her style: Understanding her style is one of the most important factors in finding the perfect engagement ring. You can go to every jewellery store shopping for the perfect engagement ring in Toronto and come up short if you are not sure what you are looking for. Take a look at her other jewelry (and listen for hints!) to get an idea of the type of jewelry shapes, styles and designs she prefers.
- Give yourself time to shop: Don’t rush the engagement ring buying process. Choosing a ring is a decision that you need to take seriously and ensure give yourself enough time to weigh your options, and be sure you are choosing a ring that she will love and cherish for decades to come.
- The mall offers limited options: Big chain jewelry stores at the mall offer you a limited selection of engagement ring options to choose from. If you want something unique, and a diamond ring that no one else will have, then a smaller boutique jewelry store in Toronto is a better option.
- There are great rings for all budgets: Don’t give into the high pressure sales tactics you will experience from the sales people at the mall jewelry store. Don’t buy into the hype that bigger and more expensive is better. Meaning and thoughtfulness are most important. Choose a ring budget that you are comfortable with.
- Ask for help: Deciding to pop the question and purchasing an engagement ring is one of the biggest decisions you will make in your life. Don’t do it alone. Talk with your friends and family and ask others for advice if you need it.
- Custom give you more options: Custom engagement rings give you more options. When you go the custom route, you can create any engagement ring design you want. You are not confined what you see at the mall. You are only confined by your imagination.
- Avoid trends and stick with classic styles: Sure trendy diamond cuts and engagement ring designs may be popular now, but what about 20 years from now? Will they still hold their appeal? When it doubt, always opt for a more timeless and classic ring design and diamond cut.
- Go with cut over size: The diamond cut tends to be more important to women then the actual size of the diamond, so make sure you this right. “While the allure of a big rock on your finger isn’t exactly something we need to explain, in reality, it’s the sparkle of a stone that makes it so special. A tiny, incredibly reflective stone will catch the eye and even look bigger than a giant stone that’s dull,” says Meghan Blalock on Who What Wear.
- Consider white or yellow gold if you want to keep costs down: Even though platinum is very popular, it is also the most expensive precious metal options. Choosing white or yellow gold will save you some money. We have a new alloys that we used to mix with the yellow gold that makes it whiter than traditional white gold. So it comes close to the color of platinum so it’s actually a better alternative than white gold in the past. Don’t worry – you can still find a great ring.
- Pay cash to save on interest charges: You best financial move is to save up for the engagement ring and pay cash. This will help you avoid interest charges on your credit card or line of credit. And, don’t forget to ask about payment plans.
- Finding the perfect ring is about more than the 4 C’s: Finding the perfect ring for your loved one is more than just finding the right combination of carat, cut, clarity, and colour. It’s about finding a diamond that has meaning and is chosen by you. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the key to finding the perfect ring understanding what she’ll love.
- Look for GIA certification: GIA certified diamonds are the way to go. It is the most consistent grading lab and has the highest diamond grading standards in the world. When you buy a GIA certified diamond, you know you are getting a high quality product.
- Buy the engagement ring and wedding band together: This will not only save you a few bucks, more importantly, it will ensure that her engagement ring and wedding band sit well together on her finger.
- Be flexible on carat weigh: You can save a lot of money if you buy diamonds that are just shy of critical weights. For example, rather than choosing a 1.00 carat diamond, opt for the 0.97 carat diamond.
- Skip the brand name designs: Brand name designs are expensive. The truth is that any ring shape and design can be custom made and recreate any design that you want.
- Sticking to your budget can be tough: You will be tempted to go above and beyond. Sure, it’s easy to be blinded by love and you want to give your wife to be an amazing ring, but remember you are also going to have a wedding to pay for once she says yes. Stick to your original budget!
- Consider shopping with your loved one: It’s becoming increasingly popular for couples to shop for engagement rings in Toronto together. This gives you the opportunity to shop, explore, and choose a ring together. It also ensures that you get the ring in the right size and everything meets her expectations! Plus, it will be less work for you!
- Think long term: Many guys don’t realize that engagement rings can be altered down the road. So, if you plan on buying your partner a bigger diamond down the road, you could still use the same setting. Explore your options for upgrading for an anniversary gift in the future.
As long as you have a good understanding of the type of ring she will like, you should be able to handle the rest. Remember, it is about the thought and personalized touches that you add to the ring that make it unique and one of a kind.
Now that you have all the information you need to make an informed and education decision about buying a Toronto engagement ring, it’s time to start exploring your options. I can help you design the perfect custom engagement ring for your partner.